Fabricating T250 exhausts

I decided right from the start that I wanted to make my own exhausts for the T250 and after a little bit of research on the “internets” I found some old Service Bulletins from Suzuki to their racing teams back in the seventies. In the bulletins there is information about making exhausts as well as porting and what oils and spark plugs to use when racing. So based on the info in the bulletins and the picture enclosed I set out to fabricate my own exhausts (this is a low budget build after all). I calculated the cones and printed out paper stencils to trace on the sheet metal, then I used a nibbler to  cut the metal to size. Since we don’t have a lot of fancy tools in the garage I just simple bent the pieces of sheet metal around a steel pipe to get the cones and tubes needed for the exhausts. It sometimes helps that I once upon a time worked as a workshop mechanic 😉 I would really like to get some real tools but for now we have to use what’s lying around. Anyway, this picture shows the pieces of sheet metal before and after bending them around the pipe. After bending the metal the pieces were spot welded into pipes and cones before fitting the exhaust parts to the actual bike. I also had to turn the first cone into a bend which took some cutting and fitting before the bend was just right. I really enjoy working with sheet metal, it’s fast and if something goes wrong it’s really easy to fix with a little bit of welding and a hammer.

Tires on the T250

In the last post on the progress of my T250 build I mentioned that I had to make the gas tank from the Zündapp ZD40 a bit wider and here it is in primer and on the bike. The tank had to be widened about 6 cm (a little bit more than 2 inches), or it actually didn’t have to but I wanted it that way. The oil tank is a gas tank from a Husqvarna Novolette moped and cost me 75 kronor (something like $11), it has a compartment in the middle which houses the battery. Since the oil tank also was a bit small and my battery wouldn’t fit I had to make that tank wider as well. It was widened about 2 inches, just like the gas tank.

As you can see the new tires are mounted (I was a bit worried before I mounted them but I think they turned out great) and I have also cut the front fender into something a little bit more appealing. The handle bars are not the ones I am going to use and the electrical wiring obviously needs a bit of work. The brand new rear shocks are meant for a Crescent Compact moped and set me back about 400 kronor (the only brand new items on the bike, about $60 worth).
These pictures were taken on the 23rd of march 2012 so now we are getting really close to where the build is today.

-=/Anders

Jens’s Savage

The first bike this spring is ready for the road and it’s Jens Blomhage’s Suzuki Savage.

Here’s the first pic of the monster 😛 There are some changes to it, the belt drive is gone and it looks so much cooler with chain and sprockets. The tank is rebuilt, rear wheel changed from 15″ to 18″. Frame chopped and a lot more.

 

And a pic from the other side. It’s the bike that has been in our garage the shortest, about 8 weeks more or less. Jensa works fast, not like me and my old BSA 😛

 

 

 

 
And last a stock Suzuki Savage so U can have a look for yourself and see just how much is done to the bike above.

/ Smeden

Evolving T250

The next step in the evolution of my T250 was getting a new seat (well, not really new but new for me). It’s from a DBS Panther moped, but it’s cut about 15 centimeters shorter in the front. This seat set me back a whopping 100 SEK ($12 or something like that). I also replaced the oil tank with a “snuskburk”, the nasty food container used in the Swedish military.

The picture was taken on the 14th of November 2011 in the Piston Cult Garage in Stockholm. The rear frame ends were later cut a lot shorter. I don’t know if you notice but the rear shocks are moved forward and down a bit in the upper mounts (the mounts were turned upside down and right side to left side to get a more aggressive look, and to be able to cut the rear even shorter).

I might as well include the next step of the build in the same post, it’s all ancient history anyway. This is from the 30th of December 2011.

Here’s the “new” gas tank from a Zündapp ZD40 moped that set me back about as much as the seat (or actually a little less). The only problem with this gas tank is that it was really narrow and small so I had to make it a bit wider, but more on that in a later post. The “snuskburk” food container is on the floor in front of the bike (I decided not to use that one for this build). We are soon getting to where the build is today (it’s actually almost done!). The strange thing is that I was only planning to give the T250 a little facelift but in the end the whole thing was in pieces before I was satisfied.

-=/Anders