Fabricating T250 exhausts

I decided right from the start that I wanted to make my own exhausts for the T250 and after a little bit of research on the “internets” I found some old Service Bulletins from Suzuki to their racing teams back in the seventies. In the bulletins there is information about making exhausts as well as porting and what oils and spark plugs to use when racing. So based on the info in the bulletins and the picture enclosed I set out to fabricate my own exhausts (this is a low budget build after all). I calculated the cones and printed out paper stencils to trace on the sheet metal, then I used a nibbler to  cut the metal to size. Since we don’t have a lot of fancy tools in the garage I just simple bent the pieces of sheet metal around a steel pipe to get the cones and tubes needed for the exhausts. It sometimes helps that I once upon a time worked as a workshop mechanic 😉 I would really like to get some real tools but for now we have to use what’s lying around. Anyway, this picture shows the pieces of sheet metal before and after bending them around the pipe. After bending the metal the pieces were spot welded into pipes and cones before fitting the exhaust parts to the actual bike. I also had to turn the first cone into a bend which took some cutting and fitting before the bend was just right. I really enjoy working with sheet metal, it’s fast and if something goes wrong it’s really easy to fix with a little bit of welding and a hammer.