So, since my Suzuki T250 1972 was waaayyy too loud I had to fabricate some silencers for the bastard. I looked high and low on the internets but found nothing that was of any use in terms of drawings and such. So I had to just do something from the top of my head instead, I winged it from start to finish so I haven’t got a clue as to if it’s correct or not. I started out with some sheet metal (as always) and bent it around a pipe (our fancy sheet metal roller that was used for fabricating the expansion chambers as well). Some ends and flanges were cut from the same sheet and the pieces are on the table in the picture above.
Here the silencers are mostly done and on the floor in front of the bike, they are nothing fancy but considering they were practically free (the fiberglass filling was the only thing that cost me anything and it was only 135 Swedish Kronor, that’s about 20 bucks or something) and were really easy to make I’m quite pleased with the result. Hopefully they don’t take too much of the effect out of the expansion chambers.
I mounted the exhaust pipes with the new silencers on the bike and also fitted the tail light, now I just have to connect the wiring to the light and mount the brake switch for the brake light. There’s not that much left to be done on the bike as it is now, secure the seat a little better, mount the license plate, connect the license plate light and fix a leak in the fuel tap and it should be almost finished for now (if everything works ok it’s going to get a real paint job and other small cosmetic upgrades).
Of course I had to start the bike and see if the new silencers actually took the noise down. THEY DID! I’m amazed at how effective they actually are, my ears didn’t even hurt after starting the bike in the garage! Since I didn’t have any plans or measurements to go by I have to say that I’m really happy with the result.
Until next time -=/Anders
This is not going to be a long and winding post. I just wanted to share a little video that Smeden filmed when I started the Suzuki for the first time with the new expansion chambers, of course I had to take it out for a short spin when I got it running.
As you can surely hear it’s extremely loud! Even with the helmet on and sitting on the bike my ears hurt, I really have to get some silencers for this thing before I damage my hearing. Something has to be built, and soon.
In the last post on the progress of my T250 build I mentioned that I had to make the gas tank from the Zündapp ZD40 a bit wider and here it is in primer and on the bike. The tank had to be widened about 6 cm (a little bit more than 2 inches), or it actually didn’t have to but I wanted it that way. The oil tank is a gas tank from a Husqvarna Novolette moped and cost me 75 kronor (something like $11), it has a compartment in the middle which houses the battery. Since the oil tank also was a bit small and my battery wouldn’t fit I had to make that tank wider as well. It was widened about 2 inches, just like the gas tank.
As you can see the new tires are mounted (I was a bit worried before I mounted them but I think they turned out great) and I have also cut the front fender into something a little bit more appealing. The handle bars are not the ones I am going to use and the electrical wiring obviously needs a bit of work. The brand new rear shocks are meant for a Crescent Compact moped and set me back about 400 kronor (the only brand new items on the bike, about $60 worth).
These pictures were taken on the 23rd of march 2012 so now we are getting really close to where the build is today.
The next step in the evolution of my T250 was getting a new seat (well, not really new but new for me). It’s from a DBS Panther moped, but it’s cut about 15 centimeters shorter in the front. This seat set me back a whopping 100 SEK ($12 or something like that). I also replaced the oil tank with a “snuskburk”, the nasty food container used in the Swedish military.
The picture was taken on the 14th of November 2011 in the Piston Cult Garage in Stockholm. The rear frame ends were later cut a lot shorter. I don’t know if you notice but the rear shocks are moved forward and down a bit in the upper mounts (the mounts were turned upside down and right side to left side to get a more aggressive look, and to be able to cut the rear even shorter).
I might as well include the next step of the build in the same post, it’s all ancient history anyway. This is from the 30th of December 2011.
Here’s the “new” gas tank from a Zündapp ZD40 moped that set me back about as much as the seat (or actually a little less). The only problem with this gas tank is that it was really narrow and small so I had to make it a bit wider, but more on that in a later post. The “snuskburk” food container is on the floor in front of the bike (I decided not to use that one for this build). We are soon getting to where the build is today (it’s actually almost done!). The strange thing is that I was only planning to give the T250 a little facelift but in the end the whole thing was in pieces before I was satisfied.